Wednesday, June 10, 2015

My First 70

I'll never forget that ride...

My last year in 13 & Under
Showing two horses
And I had the hunger 

Never quite good enough
I've always fallen short
Of that coveted 70 score
No "Average" runs yet to report

First year with my new horse
And last year with my old
Mom and Dad convinced me
He had to be sold

He's always been my favorite
We'd raised him from a colt
Gorgeous blue roan and white 
Didn't wanna sell him, I tried to revolt

He was my first reining horse
I was just 10 years old
Dad let me hot walk him
After he'd been rode

Then I started showing
The year I turned 11
My first score in the pen
Was a decent 67

I remember the rush
Hearing old Kevin cheer for me
And dad coaching from the rail
What a sight it was to see

But now he's grown sour
Running off in the pen
Anticipating the next maneuver 
So I got a new horse then

But I just loved ol Blue
I forgave him for his sins
Though he drove me crazy
I couldn't give up on him

We've been through so much together
Now this is our last ride
The Central Affiliate Finals
Youth Team Tournament time

I walked Blue into center 
And began reining pattern 4
Three right circles fast and slow
Stop in center once more

I settled for a second
And Blue took a big sigh
And I knew right then 
This was gonna be our best ride

Four spins to the right
Then begin our circles left
Stop in center and spin again
He sighed again and took a rest

We picked up our right lead
And guided a perfect figure 8
He didn't take off through the middle
And in the changes he wasn't late

Then I straightened up to stop
And he didn't run away!
We built smooth into our slide
And the crowd was blown away

I rolled him back around
And went for another stop
It was better than the first one
We rolled back without a hop

One more stop to go
I had to nail this slide
I said "This one's for Eddie"
And ol Blue did just glide!

I backed him nice and smooth
And smiled so big at the end
Could this be the ride?
Did I break a 70 in this pen?

I leaned down and hugged him
My first reiner, my favorite one
And I heard the announcer say...
My score of seventy ONE

I was just elated...! 
And my new horse did well too
But I won the class on my old horse
This day, my heart belonged to Blue


No comments:

Post a Comment