Saturday, January 14, 2012

Broken Old Stand

This is one of my favorites that I've written, there's a lot of feelings in this one, though it's just an old broken tree stand. 

Photo credit:   Helen Lacey

We ride by the same place
On every trail ride we lead
And the people always ask
About that old tree

“Why is there a ladder
Against that split tree?
There’s nothing up there
‘Far as we can see”

And they can’t comprehend
Little do they know
All of the stories
That old tree holds

This was the stand
Where I shot my first buck
And for years after
It’s brought me lots of luck

A modest eight-pointer
A big doe down the hill
A smaller one next year
And another buck still

It was also the stand
Where my mom sat one year
Five shotgun shells later
She claimed her trophy deer

But the tree has grown old
And one stormy day
Split it in half
And the stand fell away

And my heart grew sad
Because in all of our land
There was no better spot
Than that broken old stand

No comments:

Post a Comment