Saturday, January 14, 2012

Playing in the Creek

Photo credit:   Helen Lacey
I remember when I was little
Though it went by too quick
Some of my favorite adventures
Were down playing in the creek

My sister and I were explorers
We heard nature’s call
We’d walk along the creek
Searching for mini-waterfalls

Sometimes we’d find a frog
Or some rocks growing moss
We were intrigued by water striders
On the surface, skimming across

Our cousins sometimes went with us
Played like survivors, brave and bold
But we never swam in the creek
Because spring-fed water is too cold

The big culvert under the road
Was one of our favorite spots
We’d walk through it, back and forth
And watch the water fall over the rocks

Sometimes Mom would yell at us
Because we came back all wet
But it was usually worth it
Still some of my best memories yet

 

No comments:

Post a Comment