Saturday, January 14, 2012

The One That (Almost) Got Away

Photo credit:  http://www.thundermistfishingtips.com

Every fisherman has one
Always, without fail,
A story of the one that got away
It’s usually a tall tale

Well folks this one here
Is completely true, I daresay
It happened long ago
One bright and sunny day

We were just kids
My sister and me
We had ourselves a contest
To catch the most fish, you see

She cast out her line first
Mine second to go
I waited patiently
Then started reeling in slow

I was distracted
Watching a bug
But I was jerked awake
By a great big tug

The line got real tight
My fishing pole dipped
I started reeling in
Lifting up the tip

This one was huge!
He fought it so hard
Dad came to help me
I didn’t let down my guard

So close now
Almost to the boat
Then something went SNAP
And my line was left afloat

I of course was disappointed
Decided to take a break
While Dad fixed my pole
I stared at the lake

Then my sister’s pole bent hard
She yelled “I got a fish!”
Mom helped her reel in
She must have gotten her wish

It was a largemouth bass
And, mouth open, I looked
And there stuck in its lip
Was my brand new fish hook

No comments:

Post a Comment