Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Hunt

Photo credit:   http://www.twinlakeswildliferanch.com

Early morning,
   before sun is up
Throw on layers,
   get in truck.

Drive out to field,
    put it in park
Walk down to my stand,
    while it’s still dark.

Climb up the ladder,
   get settled in
Gun loaded, safety on,
   let the day begin.

Listening intently,
   looking around,
Taking in the music,
   all of nature’s sounds.

Squirrel snaps a twig,
   with a deafening CRACK
I watch him a while,
   and then I look back.
 
Scan the woods for movement,
   amidst the sea of brown
Then I see the whitetail,
   my heart starts to pound.

Calming my nerves,
   I grab for my call
Put it to my mouth,
   One grunt, that’s all.

He stops, and I watch,
   I hope and I pray
He turns and starts off,
   he's coming my way.

I aim, squeeze the trigger,
   smell the smoke from my gun
He leaps, I’ve hit him,
   he takes off at a run.

He doesn’t go far,
   he falls and lays still.
I sit back and sigh,
   enveloped in the thrill.

No comments:

Post a Comment