Saturday, January 21, 2012

Prom Date?

Was cleaning my room and found this poem I'd written in high school, and I thought, "Oh great, a reminder of my cheesy high school drama"... but after I read it I thought the poem itself was pretty good, so I thought I'd post it. Even though I don't remember who half the guys are that I wrote about!


Photo credit:   Helen Lacey
I can't find sleep,
It's way past midnight.
One burning question,
With no answer in sight.

Who should I ask?
Who would want to go?
The day draws nearer,
I wish I would know.

I mustn't give up asking,
Though twice I have tried,
And twice I have failed.
But I have not yet cried.

The ones that I like,
The ones I thought that knew,
Already have dates.
Wish I did too.

All year long,
Waiting for one special night.
But I've still no date?
Won't give up without a fight.

Why can't this be easy?
Finding love is so rough,
So hard, so unfair,
But I have to be tough.

You were the one,
Who was perfect for me.
So much alike and in common,
A wonderful life I could see.

The "cowboy" of my dreams,
But you would not be.
I was sure we'd work,
But you do not agree.

Then there was you.
So practical and smart.
I was attracted to you,
Like a bulls-eye and a dart.

I knew you'd be good to me.
But someone else came along,
And lured you away from me.
Now I sing a sad country love song.

A while ago he liked me,
So now I ask him to be my date.
But he now has a girlfriend,
Once again I am too late.

And you still confuse me.
I've been interested for some time.
And I bet you don't know,
That you're often on my mind.

You've been unlucky in love,
Just like me.
But give it a chance,
See how great we could be?

As a potential boyfriend,
You've got me shaken.
But as for Prom night,
You're already taken.

You're a great guy,
Fun-loving and sincere.
What I wouldn't give,
Just to have you near.

I'd love to have you in the future,
But Prom is right now.
So find a date I must,
And try to move on somehow.

Who would go with me?
Would you, my good friend?
I know we'd have a fun Prom,
From start until the end.

But would you even consider going?
I know you don't dig stuff like that.
Would you have any interest in me?
We're buddies, that's a fact.

You're just like family to me,
A close and trustworthy guy.
Maybe you don't want to think any different of me,
But could you at least try?

Would you go to Prom if asked?
The subject was brought up today.
But you thought of the expense,
Said, "nope," and walked away.

And I'm okay with that,
I know you're just my friend.
And I like it that way,
I will not pretend.

But now I'm left again,
With no one to turn to.
Everyone's trying to help me,
But I'm feeling so blue.

They say I should ask you,
That we would be a perfect date.
But I just don't think I like you,
I'm sorry, I have to shut the gate.

They say that I am stubborn,
That I should give him a chance,
But I don't think I can,
He's not my perfect romance.

Is he date or boyfriend material?
I have thought about it before.
Then I realize I can't,
Because I want so much more.

What do I want?
I can visualize my perfect cowboy.
One who would make me happy,
And fill my life with joy.

Someone very good-looking,
Hard-working, caring, and smart.
Who shares my love of horses,
And has a loving heart.

I've time to look for him,
Maybe someday at a show, or even college,
But Prom is coming up fast,
I am haunted by that knowledge.

There's one more possibility,
For a good Prom, I think.
If this doesn't work out,
My morale will really sink.

He graduated last year,
I don't know if he can come.
I will ask him if he can,
Though some may think I'm dumb.

Many didn't like him,
Thought he was stupid and low.
I really don't agree with them,
He's a nice guy, I think it so.

Can he come home for Prom?
Would he even go with me?
I need to find out soon,
But I'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment